Marshmallow Purchase & Information
Althaeae Folium, Althée, Altea, Alteia, Althaeae Radieae Radi, Guimauve, Gulkhairo, Guimauve, Herba Malvae, Mortification Root, Mallards, Mauve Blanche, Malvavisco, Marshmallow Leaf, Marsh Maillo, Racine de Guimauve, Sweet Weed, Wymote CAUTION: Please refer to separate listing for Mallow, Chinese Mallow, Country Mallow
Why Do People Use Marshmallow?
Marshmallow powder is most commonly used through oral route. The leaf or root of marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) is used for the treatment of a number of diseases, some of them are mentioned below:
• It is used for the treatment of mucous membrane inflammation.
• Marshmallow is sometimes also used for the treatment of dry cough.
• Althaea officinalis is used for the treatment of a number of gastrointestinal diseases including inflammation of gastric mucosa.
• Marshmallow powder is believed to help with peptic ulcers.
• Abnormalities of bowel movement like diarrhea and constipation are also treated by the oral consumption of marshmallow.
• Marshmallow is commonly used for the treatment of urinary tract infections.
• Urinary calculus are also sometimes treated with marshmallow powder.
Topically - The portions of Althaea officinalis used for topical application are its leaves and roots. Topically, marshmallow is used for:
• The treatment of infections like abscesses.
• The treatment and prevention of varicose veins and thrombotic ulcer diseases.
• Cases of skin burn and skin inflammation.
• Improving the healing time of different skin wounds.
• Providing a timely cure for insect bite.
• Application on the skin for the treatment of chapped skin and chilblains.
In Foods - Marshmallow is very commonly used in foods as a flavoring agent.
In Manufacturing - Marshmallow powder is used as a flavoring agent in a variety of industrial products. For instance, it is used for the manufacturing of beverages and foods.
Is It Safe To Use?
Likely Safe - Althaea officinalis is safe to use when consumed in amounts that are normally present in food stuff. Marshmallow powder has been generally recognized as safe status (GRAS) to be used in foods in the United States. Moreover, it is likely safe as well when used in medicinal amounts.
Possibly Safe - The topical applications of marshmallow are considered safe as well.
Pregnancy & Lactation - There is insufficient information to rate the safety of marshmallow powder in pregnant and lactating females. Therefore, such females should consult with their health care providers before consuming any preparation of marshmallow.
How Effective Is Marshmallow?
There is lack of authentic information to rate the effectiveness of marshmallow powder for its claimed benefits and uses.
How Marshmallow Works?
Roots and leaves make the applicable part of Althaea officinalis. These roots and leaves are rich in mucilage polysaccharides. These mucilage polysaccharides form a protective layer on the mucosal membranes. This allows them to offer some degree of protective and relief against the irritation caused by local irritants.
The mucilaginous compounds present in marshmallow powder possess following properties:
• These compounds can inhibit the mucocilliary transport.
• They can initiate the process of phagocytosis i.e. a process in which harmful foreign materials are internalized and destroyed by the protective cells of body.
• These mucilaginous compounds can soothe the mucosal membranes and can thus suppress cough.
• These compounds have an ability to potentiate the anti-inflammatory effects of topical corticosteroids like dexamethasone.
• In addition, they have a hypoglycemic effect.
• These mucilaginous compounds can also act as anti-microbials.
• They can also increase the output of urine, a process called diuresis.
• These compounds can also act as spasmolytics i.e. they can soothe the spasm of airways.
• Mucilages in marshmallow can also suppress the production of airway secretions.
• They can speed up the process of wound healing. • They can also act as antilithics.
What Are The Side Effects /Adverse Reactions of Marshmallow?
Some adverse reactions have been observed with the oral consumption of marshmallow powder. For instance, it can cause decrease in the blood level of glucose.
How Marshmallow Interacts With Other Herbs and Supplements?
There is lack of reliable information to describe the interaction of marshmallow powder with different supplements and herbs.
How Marshmallow Interacts With Drugs?
Althaea officinalis interacts with different drugs in following manner:
Antidiabetic Drugs - Interaction Rating = Moderate. This interaction is mostly of moderate intensity. Therefore, caution must be observed during the concomitant use of marshmallow and antidiabetic drugs. Marshmallow powder has shown to possess hypoglycemic effects. So, theoretically, the consumption of Althaea officinalis along with antidiabetic drugs can potentiate their effect and might lead to hypoglycemic shock. Dosage readjustment may be needed in such cases.
Lithium - The interaction of marshmallow with lithium is of moderate nature. Caution must be observed while using these two preparations. Lithium is a drug used for variety of psychiatric illness and is excreted through kidneys. Research has shown that certain compounds in marshmallow powder have got diuretic potential. This diuretic potential of Althaea officinalis would increase the output of urine and in turn the excretion of lithium too. Therefore, patients using lithium should staring consuming marshmallow preparations after consulting with their health care providers.
Oral drugs - Marshmallow powder interacts with different oral drugs in a moderate fashion. The mucilage polysaccharides present in Althaea officinalis can line the inside of intestine and can thus impair the absorption of drugs taken through oral route.
How Marshmallow Interacts With Foods?
There is no known interaction of marshmallow powder with different food items.
How Marshmallow Interacts With Lab Tests?
Following is how Althaea officinalis interacts with different lab tests:
Blood glucose - Marshmallow has got a hypoglycemic effect. Therefore, it can lower the level of blood sugar and can give a false lower reading of this lab test.
How Marshmallow Interacts With Diseases and Conditions?
Marshmallow powder interacts with diseases or conditions in following manner:
Diabetes - Theoratically, Althaea officinalis can decrease the level of blood glucose and can therefore cause hypoglycemia in diabetic patients.
Surgery - As mentioned above, marshmallow powder has shown a potential to decrease the level of blood glucose. This ability of marshmallow may make it difficult to manage the level of blood glucose during or after any surgical procedure. Therefore, patients that have to undergo some major surgery should be asked at least 2 weeks before the surgical procedure to discontinue the use of marshmallow powder.
What Should Be the Dose/Administration of Marshmallow?
• A typical dose of 2-5 grams dried marshmallow leaf, one cup of tea made from leaves or root or 5 grams of dried marshmallow root is used three times each day. This dose is most commonly used for the treatment of conditions like inflammation and irritation of pharynx and mouth and dry cough.
• To make the marshmallow leaf tea, add 2-5 grams of dried leaves in 150 ml of plain water. Heat this water for as long as 5-10 minutes and strain it afterwards.
• The tea made from marshmallow root is made by seeping 2-5 grams of dried marshmallow root in 150 ml of cold water. This water is kept as such for 1-1.5 hours. This liquid is then strained and then heated before consumption.
• The root or leaf extract (1:1 in 25% alcohol) is used in a usual dose of 2-5 ml, used for three times a day.
• For topical use, a 5% powdered leaf preparation, available in ointment form, is applied on the desired part of the skin for as many as three time a day.
Marshmallow is a plant of African origin. This plant has got small, round leaves and pale flowers. It is widely used for medicinal purposes. Don’t confuse it with mallow (Malva sylvestris) leaf and flower.
General Certificate of Analysis (COA)
Specification sheet links below are a standard copy of the COA less the batch or lot number and manufactures dates. Specification sheet can be dated and should only be considered as a general information. Please contact and request an up to date COA if needed for specific updated information before placing order by filling out the contact form with product name and SKU number. If ordering quantities of twenty five kilos or more contact for availability.