Espinheira Santa Purchase & Information
Cangorosa, Cancerosa, Espinheira santa, Limaosinho, Maytenus ilicifolia
Why Do People Use Espinheira Santa?
Espinheira santa, also commonly known by its scientific name maytenus ilicifolia, is used for following purposes:
• It is believed to act as a pain reliever.
• Espinheira santa powder is most commonly used due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
• Asthma relieving effect is another important reason why people use espinheira santa.
• It is also believed to have contraceptive actions.
• Maytenus ilicifolia is also believed to possess anti-septic properties and is applied on the wounds.
• It is also used because of its astringent effects on the tissues.
• Use of espinheira santa powder is also hailed to possess blood cleansing properties.
• People sometime use it as a carminative (to expel gas).
• It is also commonly used because of its ability to detoxify the body tissues of harmful substances.
• Use of espinheira santa stimulates kidneys and increases urine output. Therefore, it is used as a diuretic.
• Another important reason why people use maytenus ilicifolia is because of its effects on the gastrointestinal tract. It strengthens; balances and gives a tone to the gastric tract.
• People very commonly use espinheira santa powder to relieve constipation. Therefore, it acts as a laxative.
• It is also used to treat menstrual irregularities as it might act as a stimulant of menstrual cycle. Its estrogenic effect might be responsible for this action.
• Use of maytenus ilicifolia can increase the production of saliva i.e. it acts as a sialogogue.
• It is used to improve generalized body function i.e. it functions as a tonic.
Is It Safe To Use?
The results of some preliminary research have shown that use of espinheira santa powder can have estrogenic effects. This might be responsible for the contraceptive or anti-fertility effects of maytenus ilicifolia in females. Therefore, women who are seeking a way to get pregnant, attempting to find a cure for infertility, or those females who are diagnosed with some estrogen dependant cancer should avoid the use of any preparation made from this plant.
How Effective Is Espinheira Santa?
There is no authentic data till date that could show the efficacy of use of espinheira santa powder. More research is needed in this area.
How Espinheira Santa Works?
Information regarding the mechanism of action of maytenus ilicifolia is absolutely lacking. Therefore, ample research should be conducted to unveil these aspects of function of espinheira santa powder.
What Are The Side Effects /Adverse Reactions of Espinheira Santa?
Women who are diagnosed with estrogen positive cancers should avoid the use of espinheira santa powder. It’s because its contraceptive or estrogen mimicking effect can potentiate the progression of estrogen dependant cancers.
How Espinheira Santa Interacts With Other Herbs and Supplements?
There is no known interaction of espinheira powder when used in combination with other herbs and supplements. Therefore, authentic studies should be conducted in this area of research.
How Espinheira Santa Interacts With Drugs?
Till date no adverse reaction has been reported with the combined consumption of maytenus ilicifolia and other prescription drugs.
How Espinheira Santa Interacts With Foods?
There is no known interaction of espinheira santa powder with different foods or food products. More studies should be conducted in this regard.
How Espinheira Santa Interacts With Lab Tests?
There is no known interaction of maytenus ilicifolia with different lab results.
How Espinheira Santa Interacts With Diseases and Conditions?
There is no known interaction of espinheira santa powder with different diseases or interactions. More research should be conducted to elucidate these effects of maytenus ilicifolia (espinheira santa).
What Should Be the Dose/Administration of Espinheira Santa?
Following are the different dosage regimes of maytenus ilicifolia:
• A standard leaf decoction of espinheira santa is most commonly used for oral purposes. A cup of this preparation is used two or three times a day. This preparation can also be used before meals in order to aid in digestion.
• Espinheira santa powder is sometimes turned into tablets or capsules. Alternatively, 2-3 grams of these capsules or tablets can be eaten or can be added into water or juice. These preparations are to be taken twice on daily basis.
• Espinheira santa leaf decoction can also be used as a topical application and be directly applied to the skin. Different purposes for which topical preparations of maytenus ilicifolia are used include skin cancer, wounds and rashes.
Espinheira santa is a small (as much as 5 meters long) evergreen tree resembling holly. This tree has berries and leaves. This tree is basically native to South Brazil and South America. More than 200 species of Maytenus are found throughout the Amazon. These species have been used for different medicinal purposes by native tribes.
General Certificate of Analysis (COA)
Specification sheet links below are a standard copy of the COA less the batch or lot number and manufactures dates. Specification sheet can be dated and should only be considered as a general information. Please contact and request an up to date COA if needed for specific updated information before placing order by filling out the contact form with product name and SKU number. If ordering quantities of twenty five kilos or more contact for availability.